You are content writer. You write strong, clear and concise copy again and again. So why have all potential editors and websites been looking the other way? How can you get their attention?
For any quality articles you pen, you will need to remember how to sell them. Getting a site to buy articles you wrote takes your full effort and attention. Here is a good place to start. These are five quick tips for getting editors to notice your work and convincing websites to buy it.
1. Know your subject. If you are a freelance reporter, get out into the world talk to people. Talk to everyone until you lose your voice. You will not need it to pen your piece. Having websites buy articles from you will take time, but the process can be expedited by you doing the research before you even attempt to
2. Know your style. Any high quality article is easy to read, of course. But you should still aim for an informative, authoritarian tone so people will buy what you say. If an editor is going to buy articles you wrote, they will have to be completely your own. Article writers who try too hard to sound like everyone else get lost in the shuffle.
3. Know your audience. Who is going to buy this from you? Where will they be, geographically? Know who you want to buy articles from you and remember them as you write your piece. Folks in Texas do not know anything more about snow than folks in Minnesota know about deserts.
4. Know the market. Take a look at the current landscape of blogging and online publishing to really see what you are up against. Ask yourself, would I want to read this story? Is this important to me? If it is, chances are you will find a website that wants to buy articles from you.
5. Know your limits. You could possible write up to 10 high quality articles, or maybe even more. But could you write 20 or 30? Consider what it means to freelance before you go all in. The uncertainty of not knowing where your next paycheck is going to come from will loom overhead. Let it fuel you to do your best work and have websites buy articles from you.